This post may contain affiliate links, please review my disclosure policy.
We are a cinnamon roll loving family. I usually just make them for special occasions, but…. we find a lot of special occasions around here (hehe). I have found that at the end of the day when I think about prepping cinnamon rolls for the following day, often the energy to get up and do it isn’t there anymore.
I’ve been on the hunt for a quick cinnamon roll recipe that I can throw together in the morning without losing the quality of a good cinnamon roll… you know what I mean! I found this recipe on Most Lovely Things blog, and it is an adaptation from Sally’s Baking Addiction. They’re originally called 2 hour cinnamon rolls, but they take, in total, 2 1/2 hours to make. When you count prep, rise time, and bake time, that is.
If you’re looking for a quick and extremely yummy cinnamon rolls…this is it! I promise you, look no further. They’re easy to throw together and only need an hour and a half to rise.
2 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour
1/4 cups of white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 packet instant yeast
1/2 cup whole milk
1/4 cup water
4 tablespoons butter
1 large egg
4 tablespoons softened butter
one heaping tablespoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING: (this is an adapted frosting… I love a good cream cheese frosting, so I changed it up from the original with this recipe). You’ll just mix this all together with a hand mixer or stand mixer until smooth!
1 8oz package of cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt
- Mix the sugar, flour, salt, and yeast together in a large bowl, and then set aside.
- Combine the water, milk, and butter together in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until butter is melted.
- Pour liquid into the flour mixture. Add the egg and then stir until it forms a dough consistency.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough for 3 minutes or so and place in a lightly buttered/greased bowl. Cover and let rest for around 10 minutes.
- Roll the dough out into a rectangle. Spread the softened butter on top. Sprinkle the cinnamon and sugar over the butter. Use a knife or pizza cutter to cut 12 strips into the rectangle. Take one end of the strip and roll to form small circles. Arrange in a lightly buttered 9-inch round pan.
- Cover the rolls and allow them to rise in a warm spot. About 1 1/2 hours or until they’ve doubled in size. I placed ours by our fire to rise, but a warm oven works too!
- Preheat the oven to 375° and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Make the icing and once cinnamon rolls have cooled a bit, spread it on and serve warm! 🙂